It can be frightening if you’ve just discovered mold on your property. The fungi may be hazardous to your health, and the long-term damage they can cause can be costly and damaging.
Small mold patches can be cleaned up by homeowners themselves, using simple products and materials they already have at home. However, mold removal in Freehold professionals should address larger mold patches over 10 square feet.
Prepare What You Need
Mold is often found in homes, especially bathrooms and basements. It can cause a variety of health issues and exacerbate existing respiratory conditions.
While many DIY tricks for removing small, contained mold spots exist, these solutions are unsuitable for large infestations.
The only way to effectively remove a mold problem is to eliminate the moisture source, preventing future growth.
Taking care of moisture problems quickly and correctly will show customers you are concerned with their health and safety and your home’s durability.
Once you’ve figured out where the moisture is coming from and you have a good idea of what types of mold are growing, take the time to assess the entire property for visible growth. This will help you locate the hidden, unseen mold and make it easier to remediate the problem.
Seal Off the Area
Mold is a fungus that requires moisture and other nutrients to grow. As a result, it can cause biodegradation of home materials, spoiled food, and property damage.
It can also be a nuisance because it reproduces through spores that travel by airflow. Therefore, it can become a significant problem for your Freehold, NJ, home, or business if not dealt with properly.
A moisture problem, such as leaky pipes or water damage, creates an ideal environment for mold to grow and thrive. This is why if you see musty odors, suspicious discoloration, or signs of staining, it may indicate an underlying moisture issue.
Identifying and dealing with the problem’s source will prevent future mold growth and contamination. Professional mold removal in Freehold companies will thoroughly inspect and identify the contaminated areas, clean up the mold spores, contain and dispose of contaminated items, and restore the property to healthy conditions.
Wear Protective Clothes
Mold is a fungus that grows on almost anything with moisture and oxygen. This includes drywall, carpeting, insulation, wallpaper, and other building materials.
When mold grows, it produces spores that detach and fly around, landing on anything they touch. These spores are airborne and can be dangerous for the health of people exposed to them.
If you are cleaning up mold, wearing protective clothing is essential. This includes safety goggles, disposable coveralls, and gloves.
For larger jobs, a disposable air-purifying respirator can be used to keep you safe from the spores that are flying around.
You can also buy heavy plastic sheets at hardware stores or use an old roll of duct tape to contain the spores while you work. This can help prevent them from flying around and contaminating other areas of the home or business you are cleaning up.
Clean the Area
Mold grows in damp, dark, and airless spaces. That includes basements, crawl spaces, and even attics.
The first step in killing mold is to clean the area. You can do this with bleach, hydrogen peroxide, or white vinegar.
Use a spray bottle of bleach to saturate the moldy areas on your walls, leaving them to soak for several minutes. Then, lightly scrub and rinse the area.
Hydrogen peroxide is an excellent alternative to bleach because it won’t create harmful fumes that can irritate your lungs.
Ammonia is another safe option, but it should only be used sparingly. First, mix it with water, then use a brush to scrub the area.
Depending on the mold type and surface type, you may need to scrub the covers with detergent and water or paint with a mold-resistant product. In either case, you should seal the area to prevent future regrowth. This can include drywall, insulation, and wood trim.